Dec 08 2016 0 Comments
The supplement industry can be a confusing and, at times, an intimidating place for consumers looking to buy something as simple as whey protein powder. Whether you are buying supplements in Canada or supplements in the USA, consumers tend to face the same overwhelming variety of choices from products to brands.
Today we are going to go over one of the most basic types of supplements on the market and 5 reasons why everyone should take it: Whey Protein Powder!
Why Should I Take Whey Protein Powder?
1. It has a multitude of health benefits
When people think of whey protein, they tend to think of bodybuilders and meatheads who only care about building muscle. Many would be surprised to find out the wide ranging health benefits that a whey protein supplement can have for you. Some of the many benefits include:
- Improving symptoms of depression, high blood pressure, cancer and HIV (View study)
- Helps with hormone support (view study)
- Can boost metabolism and make you eat less calories per day (view study)
2. It helps control satiety the most out of all macronutrients
Of all the macronutrients: Carbohydrates, Fats, and Proteins, protein has been found to have the greatest effect on making you feel fuller, longer. Protein not only contains less calories than fats, but it helps keep you feeling full so you are less likely to indulge.
3. High protein diets can help your body burn more fat - naturally
Studies have shown that a high protein diet can cause an increase in thermogenesis, aka an increase in your body's cellular temperature - Which can lead to burning more fat! (view study)
4. Proteins are the building blocks of your muscles
5. Protein powder supplements are one of the most studied types of supplements, EVER.
As we mentioned at the beginning, a lot of people can be intimidated by the supplement industry. But you can rest assured that taking a protein powder is completely safe, and it is not something that was invented yesterday. Protein powder supplements have been tried and tested thoroughly over decades of research. Check out this systematic review of protein supplements!
The Bottom Line
Whey protein supplements are a very safe and effective way to add extra protein to your diet, in a form that is easily broken down by your body. Whey protein can be used by everyone from bodybuilders to pro sports athletes to students or stay-at-home moms!
For more information on whey protein, check out Whey Protein 101: The Ultimate Beginners Guide.