Feb 26 2018 0 Comments
As we have learnt in several blogs, inflammation is something we must control. Inflammation can sabotage our gains in the gym, lead to chronic illness, and wreak havoc on our everyday health and happiness. Inflammation plays a role in almost any disease you can think of from Alzheimer's to cancer and everything in between. Over the course of this blog we are going to look into the top foods for reducing inflammation, the foods that cause the most inflammation and the supplements you can take to mitigate the inflammation within your body. Lets dig in!
Foods that are Great for Decreasing Inflammation
1) Kelp. Containing fucoidan, it is a complete carbohydrate and has also been shown to be a potent anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor, anti-cancer and antioxidative. Kelp is also extremely high in fiber which makes it a fan favourite for your gut microbiome and colon.
2) Spinach: Spinach is a rich source of anti-inflammatory and antioxidative flavonoids and carotenoids. It is rich in vitamin A, B6, B2, C, E and K as well as calcium, folate, iron, magnesium.
Top Inflammatory Foods
- fried foods
- trans fatty acids
- milk products
- commercially raised meats
- processed meat
- refined grains
- artificial foods additives
- any foods that you are sensitive to. Common food sensitivities include (but are not limited to) gluten, dairy, legumes and high carbohydrate foods.
Other Causes of Inflammation
- over eating
- excessive weight (fat tissue has been shown to release inflammatory cytokines which lead to an increased immune response within your body)
- Lack Of Adequate Sleep
- not recovering properly after exercise. Exercise actually causes a lot of inflammation which in the short term is a good thing, but if we do not recover properly this can cause chronic inflammation which we have learnt is detrimental to our health
- not properly coping with stress
Top Inflammation fighting supplements
- has been shown to decrease C reactive protein, a potent marker of inflammation
- inhibits joint inflammation
- has been used to help people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis
- anti-inflammatory properties for muscle induced inflammation
- ALA is an omega 3 fatty acid
- lowers C reactive protein
- decreases triglycerides and total cholesterol
- lowers systemic inflammation
- has been shown to decrease inflammation in cardiac patients by 26 percent
Greens and Berries
- this supplement is loaded with antioxidants which is great to supplement your diet with in order to lower inflammation