Nothing quite beats the taste of a delicious brownie or cake bar. Unfortunately, they won’t do you much good if you’re trying to get into shape. Thankfully, there’s a healthier alternative.
These protein cake bars take no more effort to make than normal cake bars, and are both a nutritious AND delicious alternative to their more sugary counterparts. It also helps that the protein contained in these can aid in muscle growth.
So, without further ado, let’s begin:
- 1 ¼ cup (or 100 grams) of oat flour
- 2 scoops (60 grams) of banana/vanilla protein powder
- 3 tablespoons (15 grams) of dark cocoa powder
- ¼ cup of sweetener
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ cup of vanilla unsweetened almond milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup (81 grams) of unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup of plain Greek yogurt
- Place all the wet ingredients (the almond milk, large eggs, applesauce, and Greek yogurt) and dry ingredients (the oat flour, protein powder, dark cocoa powder, sweetener, baking soda, and salt) in two separate bowls.
- Mix all the wet ingredients together.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients while mixing them.
- Pre-heat the oven at 350.
- Evenly distribute your mix in a 9 ½ x 7 ½ or 8 x 8 baking dish (be sure to coat the inside with some nonstick cooking spray first).
- Place the mix in the oven for about 20-25 minutes.
- Once you’ve taken the mix out of the oven, leave it to cool for about 20-30 minutes.
Side note: If you’d like, you can add 3 tablespoons (45 grams) of chocolate chips to your mix (these will count as dry ingredients).
Here are the nutritional facts:
Saturated Fat: 11g
Check out the step-by-step recipe in action below: